We are pleased to announce the Downtown Port Coquitlam Business Improvement Association 2023 Beautification Initiative.
The Beautification Initiative aims to help build civic pride among the local business community and promote the overall marketability of the Downtown Port Coquitlam Business Improvement Area. The Downtown PoCo BIA’s focus with this program is to beautify the business improvement area by focusing on the outward appearance of members businesses and properties. The total funds to be disbursed by the BIA is $10,000.00. The Program may provide matching funding, from a minimum of $250.00 up to a maximum of $2000.00, towards the completion of enhancements that beautify and improve the appearance of a business structure or grounds. *Funding is to be matched by the applicant under all circumstances.
These improvements must either:
- Improve the overall appearance of the property, thus enhancing the appeal of Downtown Port Coquitlam or
- Enhances the sense of arrival to your business for clients and visitors to Downtown Port Coquitlam.
Please read City of Port Coquitlam’s guide to the Beautification Program for more information.
Who Is Eligible?
- Commercial (non-home-based) businesses that are located within the designated Downtown Port Coquitlam Business Improvement Area
- Businesses who are in good standing with respect to the City
The Program may provide matching funding, from a minimum of $250.00 up to a maximum of $2000.00, towards the completion of enhancements that beautify and improve the appearance of a business structure or grounds, thus enhancing the appeal of Downtown Port Coquitlam.
Some eligible activities may include:
- Design consultant fees
- Design and installation of awnings and signs
- Signage that is uniquely designed to integrate into building architecture;
- Exterior lighting that is decorative in profile
- The purchase and installation of ornamental plants (ex. flowers, shrubs, trees) provided they enhance the appearance of the property or enhance the sense of arrival for clients
- Landscaping or other property improvements
- Installation of windows that are unique or decorative in profile MAY be deemed eligible at the discretion of the BIA
Ineligible activities include:
- Design and installation of entrance systems and related infrastructure
- Installation of vinyl or steel siding
- Installation of decorative wall coverings (i.e. brick)
- Installation of generic vinyl or steel windows
- Purchase of paint, painting supplies, or painting services provided by an independent contractor
There is no application deadline. Applications will be reviewed on a first come first serve basis in 2023; funded projects must be completed by December 31, 2023.
- The BIA team will review applications based upon the project’s overall benefits to Downtown Port Coquitlam and its impact on increased aesthetic appeal, property, value and sense of arrival for clients and visitors.
- Projects that are recommended for approval by the BIA team will be voted on by the board for final endorsement.
- The Board reserves the right to turn down an application if it feels the proposed project does not fit within the spirit and intent of the Beautification Initiative.
You can request an application form by emailing [email protected]
Applications can be emailed to [email protected]
Upon review and project approval, a Letter of Agreement will be issued detailing terms of conditions and the amount of funding approved. Payment of claims will be contingent upon the completion of proposed work, the submission of a detailed Claim Form (provided with Letter of Agreement), and submission of copies of all invoices.
All required permits must be obtained from the City of Port Coquitlam prior to the commencement of any work supported through the Beautification Initiative; proof of all applicable permits must be included with submitted claims.
Applications must be received and reviewed by the BIA team and the city before any work activities begin; grants will not be awarded to projects that are under construction or have been completed at the time of application.
Applications may be dropped off or mailed in to the Downtown Port Coquitlam BIA office or emailed to [email protected]
Applications must include the following materials as applicable for consideration by the BIA team.
Applicants that do not include all pertinent information may be asked to resubmit their application to include the necessary information or may not be considered for funding.
- Current photo(s) of the proposed project site (can be emailed to [email protected])
- Rendering or sketch of proposed improvements
- Architectural plans, including dimensions/measurements (if required)
- Color and material samples for awning, signs, etc.
- Sign plans or awning design
More information can be found in the City of Port Coquitlam’s guide to the Beautification Program